SC sets up Farm Laws Committee
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Judiciary
- The Supreme Court has put a stay on the implementation of the three farm laws until further orders.
- It has also set up a committee of agricultural experts to facilitate talks between the Centre and farmers’ unions to resolve the impasse.
- The members include: (1) Bhupinder Singh Mann, the national president of the Bhartiya Kisan Union and All India Kisan Coordination Committee; (2) Dr Parmod Kumar Joshi, an agricultural economist who is also the Director for South Asia, International Food Policy Research Institute; (3) Ashok Gulati, agricultural economist and former chairman of the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices; (4) Anil Ghanwat, the chief of Shetkari Sanghatana, who in articles written in the media have expressed views in favour of the farm laws.
- The Chief Justice said that the committee will not pass an order or punish and submit a report to the Supreme Court.
- The SC has said the committee is the judicial process in this case.
Related articles :