Swasth Vayu may be used on Covid-19 patients
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health & GS-III – Sci & Tech
- The expert committee constituted by Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, has concluded that SwasthVayu may be used on Covid-19 patients who require oxygen supplementation up to 35%.
- Indigenously designed and developed by: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) – National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL)
- Objective: To address the shortages of ventilators in the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic
- It is the non-invasive bi-level positive airway pressure ventilator.
- It is a microcontroller based precise closed-loop adaptive control system with a built-in biocompatible “3D printed manifold and coupler” with HEPA filter (Highly Efficient Particulate Air Filter).
- It has features like CPAP, Bi-Timed, Spontaneous / AUTO modes with provision to connect Oxygen concentrator or Enrichment unit externally.
- CSIR-NAL has commercialized this technology with six private companies.