Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Biodiversity
- Mandarin duck was recently spotted in the Maguri-Motapung beel (wetland) in Assam.
Important value additions
- It is considered the most beautiful duck in the world.
- It is a small-exotic looking bird native to East Asia.
- The migratory duck breeds in Russia, Korea, Japan and north-eastern parts of China.
- It now has established populations in Western Europe and America too.
- The duck, however, rarely visits India as it does not fall in its usual migratory route.
- IUCN Status: Least Concern.
- The Maguri Motapung wetland is located close to the Dibru Saikhowa National Park in Upper Assam.
- It is an Important Bird Area.