Metroneo: Innovative system of mass transport
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Infrastructure
- By making a sizeable budgetary allocation for MetroNeo in the Union Budget, the way has been paved for the innovative system of mass transport, which could soon be replicated across the country.
- To be adopted for the first time in the country in Maharashtra’s Nashik, MetroNeo is a comfortable, rapid, energy-efficient, and less noisy transport medium.
- The central government recently urged all state governments to consider using MetroNeo technology in their tier-2 and tier-3 cities.
- The MetroNeo service consists of electric bus coaches – their lengths varying from 18 to 25 meters – with a carrying capacity of 200 to 300 passengers at a time.
- The buses will have rubber tyres and draw power from an overhead electric wire with 600-750 V DC supply, similar to railways or trams.
- The buses will be air-conditioned, with an automatic door closing system, level boarding, comfortable seats, passenger announcement system, and an information system with an electronic display.
- The stations will be similar to other Metro rail stations.