Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Culture
- For the first time, Tholpavakkoothu, the famous shadow leather puppets will tell stories of the epic Ramayana with the help of robots.
Important value additions
- Tholpavakoothu is a form of shadow puppetry.
- Practiced in: Kerala, India.
- It is performed using leather puppets as a ritual dedicated to Bhadrakali.
- It is performed in Devi temples in specially built theatres called koothumadams.
- It is believed to have originated in the ninth century AD.
- It uses Kamba Ramayana as its basic text.