Air strikes on Sanaʽa
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International relations
- A Saudi-led military coalition mounted air strikes on Yemen’s capital Sana’a.
- Saudi had intercepted 10 drones launched by Houthis before the strikes.
- Sanaʽa is the largest city in Yemen.
- Constitutionally, Sanaʽa is the capital of Yemen.
- In the aftermath of the Houthi occupation, the capital moved to Aden – the former capital of South Yemen.
- Aden is located next to the Sarawat Mountains of Jabal An-Nabi Shu’ayb and Jabal Tiyal, considered to be the highest mountains in the country and amongst the highest in the region.
- Sanaʽa is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- It has a distinctive architectural character, most notably expressed in its multi-storey buildings decorated with geometric patterns.