Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & Tech; Biotechnology
- In Australia, Leading scientists and medical experts are calling for the pardon of convicted child killer Kathleen Folbigg after a recent study showed that her victims
(her own children) may have died of natural causes.
- Medical experts have argued that her children died due to a rare genetic defect.
- They inherited a genetic mutation from their mother called CALM2.
- CALM-2 mutations are known to cause sudden death due to cardiac arrest.
- Calmodulin 2 is a protein that is encoded by the CALM2 gene in humans.
- Mutations in CALM2 are associated to cardiac arrhythmias.