Chinese Dam On Brahmaputra
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- According to a draft of China’s Five-Year Plan (2021-2025), first dams are to be built on the lower reaches of Yarlung Zangbo river
- Yarlung Zangbo river is the Brahmaputra known in Tibet before it flows into India.
- The Plan specifically mentions the building of hydropower bases which will be the priority energy projects.
- This marks a new chapter in the hydropower exploitation of the river.
- Other major projects include the construction of coastal nuclear power plants and power transmission channels.
The project is also listed along with the Sichuan-Tibet railway and the national water network.