“Freedom in the World 2021: Democracy under Siege” report
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Fundamental rights
- “Freedom in the World 2021: Democracy under Siege” report was recently released.
- Released by: U.S. think tank, Freedom House
- It has classified India as ‘partly free’.
- India’s score was 67
- Last year, its score was 71/100 (free category )
- According to the report, the Indian government and its State-level allies continued to crack down on critics during the year.
- The report also highlighted that many outfits encouraged the scapegoating of Muslims, who were disproportionately blamed for the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- The U.S. dropped three points over one year, down to 83/100.
- China, classified as ‘not free’, dropped a point from last year going down to 9/100.