Increase in arrests under UAPA Act
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Terrorism
- According to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), number of persons arrested under the UAPA (Unlawful Activities [Prevention] Act) in 2019 has increased by over 72% as compared to year 2015.
- In 2019, the highest number of arrests were made in Uttar Pradesh (498), Manipur (386), Tamil Nadu (308), J & K (227) and Jharkhand (202).
- Only 2.2 % of cases registered under the UAPA between 2016-2019 ended in convictions by court.
- Cases under the UAPA are investigated by the State police and the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- Under the UAPA, getting bail is rare and the investigating agency has up to 180 days to file a charge sheet