India TB Report
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- According to the India TB report, in 2020, there were 18.05 tuberculosis notifications, which was a fall of 24% from 2019 due to the disruptions caused by the pandemic.
- Released by: Health Ministry.
- Between January and February 2020, there were 6% more cases reported than in 2019.
- As a result of the lockdown, notifications in the public sector fell by 38% and 44% in the private sector in April and May.
- Of the reported 24.04 lakh TB cases in 2019, treatment success was 82%, mortality rate was 4%.
- The approved budget toward the programme was decreased from ₹3,333 crores in 2019-20 to ₹3,110 crore in 2020-21.
- The report said 20,892 (42%) of patients were initiated on a shorter MDR-TB regimen at the time of diagnosis.
- This is a significant decline from 2019.