India’s Helium import to get affected
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations & GS-III – Economy
- The USA shall cut off exports of helium from 2021.
- Due to this, the Indian industry stands to lose out heavily since India imports helium
Important value additions
- Helium is colorless, odourless, tasteless, inert, and a noble gas.
- Applications: Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans, in rockets and nuclear reactors.
- Dutch physicist Kamerlingh Onnes liquefied Helium by cooling the gas to -270 degrees Celsius.
- India’s Rajmahal volcanic basin in Jharkhand is the storehouse of helium trapped for billions of years.
- At present, India is mapping the Rajmahal basin extensively for future exploration and harnessing of helium.