NewSpace India Limited to operate space assets of ISRO
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions & GS-III – Space; Sci & Tech
- The NewSpace India Limited will own and operate capital intensive space assets of ISRO as part of the space reforms process.
- NewSpace India Limited is in advance stage of discussion with the Department of Space to take ownership of two new communication satellites for commercial purpose.
- The transponders on these satellites will be leased to the private companies with DTH and Broadband services.
Important value additions
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) is a Public Sector Enterprise (PSE) of Government of India.
- It is a commercial arm of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and a subsidiary company of Department of Science.
- Established in: 2019
- Administrative control: Department of Space (DoS) and the Company Act 2013.
- Objective: To scale up industry participation in Indian space programmes.
- Headquarter: Bengaluru.