NRI quota seats in educational institutions for OCI cardholders
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Education; Policies and interventions
- According to a recent gazetted notification, OCI (Overseas Citizens of India) cardholders can lay claim to “only NRI quota seats” in educational institutions based on tests such as NEET, JEE (Mains and Advanced), etc.
- Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)
- OCIs are not entitled to undertake any “missionary, mountaineering, journalism and tabligh activities” without prior permission of the Government of India.
- The notification replaces three previous notifications which did not specify the special permission required for these activities.
Do you know?
- OCI citizens are of Indian origin.
- They are foreign passport holders and are not citizens of India.
- India does not allow dual citizenship but provides certain benefits through Citizenship Act, 1955 to the OCIs.