Place in news: Comoros
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – International Relations
- Indian Navy Ship Jalashwa arrived at port of Anjouan in Comoros with 1,000 metric tonnes of rice.
- This highlights the ties between India and Comoros within the framework of PM Modi’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for all in the Indian Ocean Region).
Important value additions
- The Comoros is an island country in the Indian Ocean.
- 3 major islands in the Comoros Archipelago: Ngazidja (Grande Comore), Mwali (Mohéli) and Ndzuani (Anjouan)
- It is situated in the Mozambique Channel, between the African coast (nearest to Mozambique and Tanzania) and Madagascar, with no land borders.
- It is a member of the Arab League.
- It is the only country in the Arab world which is entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.
- It is also a member state of the African Union, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, and the Indian Ocean Commission.