UNITAR commends India’s progress in reducing the premature mortality from NDCs
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations; Health
- UNITAR has commended India’s remarkable progress in reducing the premature mortality from Non-Communicable Diseases.
Important value additions
United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- It is a dedicated training arm of the United Nations system.
- Mandate: UNITAR provides training and capacity development activities to assist mainly developing countries with special attention to Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and other groups and communities who are most vulnerable.
- Founded in: 1963, following the recommendation of the UN Economic and Social Council to the General Assembly.
- Governance: Operated as an autonomous body within the United Nations system
- Headed by: Executive Director
- Funding: UNITAR is a project-based organization and does not receive any funds from the regular UN budget.
- It is financed entirely from voluntary contributions.
- Headquarters: Geneva (Switzerland)