Volume on teachers & teacher education by Azim Premji University
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Education
- Azim Premji University released the First volume on teachers & teacher education.
- It explores the landscape of Teacher Education Institutions (TEIs) in India, corruption in private TEIs, the support system needed for teachers and the problem of those who are on contract.
- There are 9 million teachers in around 1.5 million schools in India.
- It is equally important to impart good quality of education to aspiring teachers.
- Of the 17,503 TEIs in India, more than 90% are privately owned, stand-alone institutions, offering single programmes localised in certain geographies.
- Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, account for 54% of all TEIs in India.
- Only 12 States/UTs have at least one TEI in each district.
- There are many substandard, dysfunctional TEIs functioning as ‘commercial shops’.
- TEIs deliberately neglected basic curricular requirements.
- Classes are neither conducted seriously nor taken seriously by students.
- Almost all private TEIs allowed students with a shortage of attendance to appear for examinations.
- There is an increasing prevalence of contract teachers, who are recruited for short periods on inadequate salaries with little or no benefits.
- This has caused long-term damage to not just the teaching profession but has also affected student learning.