Draft Standards for Road-Trains
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III Infrastructure
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has published Draft Standards for Road-Trains.
- To revolutionize the transport of goods and reduce the overall logistic costs, the Automotive Industry Standards Committee has amended its AIS-113 Standard to include the safety requirements of Road-Trains.
- The standards have been prepared after examining European benchmarks, keeping in mind Indian operating conditions.
Important value additions
- Road-Train is a motor vehicle wherein the traction is provided by the puller, which is connected to a serial combination of trailers or semi- trailers.
- These shall ply on select stretches to reduce congestion, save fuel and reduce noise & air-pollution.
- The Automotive Industry Standards Committee has representatives from the relevant Ministries, Testing Agencies, Industry stakeholders, BIS etc.