Russia’s space agency hopes to launch its own orbital station
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III Sci & tech; Space
- Russia’s space agency (Roscosmos) hopes to launch its own orbital station in 2025 as it considers withdrawing from the International Space Station programme to go it alone.
- Work had begun on the first module of a new station.
- The announcement came with tensions soaring with the West.
- Russia lost its monopoly for manned flights to the ISS last year after the first successful mission of U.S. company Space X.
Do you know?
- ISS was launched in 1998 and involves Russia, USA, Canada, Japan, and the European Space Agency
- It is one of the most ambitious international collaborations in human history.