2-deoxy-D-glucose approved by DGCI
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Health; GS- III – Sci & tech
- Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) approved anti-COVID drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose for emergency use.
- Developed by: Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), a lab of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), in collaboration with Dr Reddy’s Laboratories (DRL), Hyderabad.
- Clinical trial results have shown that this molecule helps in faster recovery of hospitalised patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence.
- Higher proportion of patients treated with 2-DG showed RT-PCR negative conversion in COVID patients.
- The drug will be of immense benefit to the people suffering from COVID-19.
- The drug comes in powder form in sachet, which is taken orally by dissolving it in water.
- It accumulates in the virus infected cells and prevents virus growth by stopping viral synthesis and energy production.
- Its selective accumulation in virally infected cells makes this drug unique.