Aerial Passenger Ropeway System Between Dehradun and Mussoorie
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- The Union Cabinet gave its approval to the transfer of land of Indo-Tibetan Border Police, ITBP to Government of Uttarakhand for development of Aerial Passenger Ropeway System between Dehradun and Mussoorie.
- The proposed Ropeway is a mono-cable ropeway of 5.5 Km length between Purkul Gaon, Dehradun and Library, Mussoorie being constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 285 crore.
- It will have a carrying capacity of 1,000 persons per hour per direction.
- This will considerably reduce the traffic flow on the road route from Dehradun to Mussoorie.
- This will generate direct employment of 350 and indirect employment of more than 1,500 people.
- It will also be a huge attraction for tourists which in turn will provide a boost to the tourism industry
Important value additions
Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
- It is India’s primary border patrol organization with its border with China’s Tibet Autonomous Region.
- It was formed in 1962 in the wake of the Sino-Indian War of 1962.
- The “Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force Act, 1992” provides for the constitution and regulation of the ITBP for ensuring the security of the borders of India and for matters connected therewith.