Dahanu Gholvad Sapota
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Geography
- Dahanu Gholvad Sapota (Chikoo) was in news recently.
- A consignment from Palghar district of Maharashtra was shipped to the United Kingdom, giving major boost to exports of GI certified products.
- GI certification of Ghovad Sapota is held by Maharashtra Rajya Chikoo Utpadak Sangh.
- The fruit is known for its sweet and unique taste.
- It is believed that the unique taste is derived from calcium rich soil of Gholvad village.
Do you know?
- Sapota-growing states- Karnataka, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.
- Highest growers: Karnataka, Maharashtra.