Floating jetty inaugurated in Goa
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- The second Floating jetty at Old Goa was inaugurated recently.
- Ministry: Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways
- The jetty will offer safe, hassle free transportation to the tourists.
- The Government of India has approved setting up of two Concrete floating jetties on River Mondovi (NW-68) to connect Old Goa and Panjim.
- This is the second floating jetty constructed.
- The first jetty located at Captain of Ports, Panjim Goa was inaugurated in February 2020 at Panjim.
Important value additions
Concrete floating jetties have many advantages over the fixed jetties
- Their price is approximately 1/5th of the price of a fixed jetty.
- Similarly, they are quicker to build and install, easier to use.
- The designed life of a floating jetty is up to 50 years.
- Also, being floating structures they don’t need CRZ clearances.
- They can be increased in size or reduced as per changes in users’ requirements or the changes in jetty site’s hydrographic profile.