Smokeless Cremation system developed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Sci & tech
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar has developed a prototype of a moveable electric cremation system which claims to be using first of its kind technology that involves smokeless cremation despite using wood.
- It uses half of the wood otherwise required for the cremation.
- It is eco-friendly because of the technology that uses the combustion air system.
- It is based on wick-stove technology in which the wick when lighted glows yellow.
- This is converted into smokeless blue flame with the help of combustion air system installed over the wicks.
- The cremation system or incinerator heats up at 1044 degree Celsius which ensures complete sterilization.
- Keeping in view the present pandemic situation, if this system is adopted, it may provide respectable cremation to the near and dear ones of those who cannot afford the financial burden of arranging wood.