States asked to declare Mucormycosis an epidemic
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Health; Policies and interventions
- The Union government has asked the States to declare mucormycosis,, an epidemic under Epidemic Diseases Act 1897.
- Mucormycosis is the black fungal infection being reported in COVID-19 patients.
- Declaring it an epidemic would lead to health facilities screening for it and reporting all such cases to the government.
- Rajasthan, Telangana and Tamil Nadu have already declared it an epidemic.
Important value additions
- Mucormycosis or black fungus is a complication caused by fungal infection.
- People catch mucormycosis by coming in contact with the fungal spores in the environment.
- The disease is being detected among patients who are recovering or have recovered from Covid-19.