Strategy for Pulses Cultivation in Kharif 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- In order to attain self-sufficiency in the production of pulses, the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has formulated a special Kharif strategy for implementation during the Kharif 2021 season.
- A detailed plan for both area expansion and productivity enhancement for Tur, Moong and Urad has been formulated.
- Under the strategy, the high yielding varieties (HYVs) of seeds will be distributed free of cost to increase area through intercropping and sole crop.
- It is proposed to distribute almost 10 times more seed mini kits than 2020-21 amounting to Rs. 82.01 crores.
- The total cost for these mini-kits will be borne by the Central Government
- The Agricultural Technology Application Research Institutes (ATARIs) and Krishi Vigyan Kendras will also be roped in for effective implementation and training to the farmers.