Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci & tech; Biotechnology
- The CSIR- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology has developed, possibly the first specific drug for COVID-19 treatment, which contain therapeutic antibodies.
- The Drug Controller General of India (DGCI) has given its approval for human trials, Phase-I and Phase-II for the VINCOV-19 and expected to be tried in Delhi and Rajasthan soon.
- The VINCOV-19 is a collection of antibodies from Horses after they got injected with inactivated Corona virus.
- The approval for its emergency use is expected once the results of phase I and II are declared.
- It works best when given during early stage of infection.