BRICS issues Joint Statement on Multilateralism
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International Relations & GS-III – Economy
- The BRICS Foreign Ministers put out a joint statement on multilateralism recently.
- The idea is to form a common understanding among the BRICS countries.
- Multilateralism is the process of organizing relations between groups of three or more states.
Six Principles laid out by BRICS
- It should make global governance more inclusive, representative and participatory.
- It should be based on inclusive consultation and collaboration.
- It should make multilateral organisations more action-oriented and solution-oriented.
- It should use innovative solutions, including digital and technological tools.
- It should strengthen the capacities of individual States and international organizations.
- It should promote people-centered international cooperation at the core.
Important value additions
- BRICS is an acronym for the grouping of the countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- India has assumed the BRICS Presidency from January 2021.
- It does not exist in the form of organization.
- The Chairmanship of the forum is rotated annually among the members, in accordance with the acronym B-R-I-C-S.