Cabinet gives ex-post facto nod for SCO agreement on mass media cooperation
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- The Union Cabinet has approved the ratification of an Agreement on “Cooperation in the field of Mass Media” between all the Member States of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.
- The Agreement was signed in June, 2019.
About the Agreement on “Cooperation in the field of Mass Media”
- Aim: To promote equal and mutually beneficial cooperation among associations in the field of mass media.
- It would provide an opportunity to the member states to share best practices and new innovations
- The main area of cooperation is the creation of favorable conditions for wide and mutual distribution of information through mass media
- It will provide mutual assistance in training media professionals
Why does the news matter?
- Mass media inform, educate and entertain people.
- They influence the way people look at the world and make them change their views.
- They help in organizing public opinion.
Important value additions
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- The SCO is a permanent intergovernmental international organisation.
- It is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance
- Established in: 2001.
- Supreme decision-making body: Heads of State Council (HSC)
- It meets once a Year .
- Two permanent bodies:
- SCO Secretariat based in Beijing.
- Executive Committee of the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) based in Tashkent.