Delimitation in Jammu and Kashmir started
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Polity and Governance
- Recently, the delimitation exercise has started in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
- The completion of the delimitation exercise will mark the political process in the Union Territory (UT) that has been under Centre’s rule since June 2018.
- After the abrogation of its special status under Article 370, on 5th August, 2019, a special delimitation commission was constituted in March, 2020 to carve out Assembly and Parliament seats in the UT.
What is Delimitation?
- It is the act of fixing or redrawing the boundaries of territorial constituencies in a country or a province having a legislative body, as per the Election Commission.
- The delimitation exercise is carried out by an independent high-powered panel known as the Delimitation Commission whose orders have the force of law and cannot be questioned by any court.
- To have equal representation to equal segments of the population in order to ensure a fair division of geographical areas.
Constitutional Basis for Delimitation
- Article 82: The Parliament enacts a Delimitation Act after every Census.
- Article 170: States also get divided into territorial constituencies as per Delimitation Act after every Census.
- The Delimitation Commission is appointed by the President of India.
- It works in collaboration with the Election Commission of India.
- Retired Supreme Court judge
- Chief Election Commissioner
- Respective State Election Commissioners.