Education Ministry approves release of Performance Grading Index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Education
- Union Education Minister has recently approved the release of the Performance Grading Index 2019-20.
Features of the PGI
- The PGI provides grades to the states and union territories instead of ranks.
- Grading allows states and union territories to be considered at the same level.
- It eliminates the possibility of being cast as a stigma due to one’s underperformance.
- It comprises 70 indicators on aggregate classified into categories with a maximum score of 1000.
Result of the PGI
- Top performing states: Punjab, Tamilnadu, Kerala
- Lowest performing states: Meghalaya and Ladakh
- It would help them focus on the gaps and prioritise those areas for intervention to ensure that the school education system is strong at every level
Recent steps to improve quality of School Education
- National Achievement Survey conducted by the NCERT for classes 3, 5, 8 and 10.
- India shall also participate in Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) to be conducted by the OECD in 2021.
- Digital Infrastructure for Knowledge Sharing (DIKSHA) platform for high quality e learning material.