Exercise Sea Breeze
Part of: GS Prelims and GS II – International Relations
- Ukraine and USA launched joint naval Exercise ‘Sea Breeze’ in the Black Sea to show Western cooperation with Ukraine as it faces off with Russia.
- The exercise Sea Breeze has been held since 1997, involving NATO states and their allies.
- This edition (2021) will be the largest In Exercise’s history that will involve some 5,000 military personnel from more than 30 countries.
Aim of the Exercise
- Improving naval and land operations
- Improving cooperation among participating counties.
- Sending a powerful message to maintain stability and peace in the region.
Significance of Black Sea for Russia
- The unique geography of the Black Sea region provides several geopolitical advantages to Russia
- Russia has always wanted to control the region.
- It is an important crossroads and strategic intersection for the entire region.
- Its Access greatly enhances the projection of power into several adjacent regions.
- The region is an important transit corridor for goods and energy.
- It is rich in cultural and ethnic diversity, and shares close historical ties with Russia.
About Black Sea
- It is marginal sea of the Atlantic Ocean, located between Eastern Europe and Western Asia.
- The bordering countries of Black Sea are: Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Turkey, Bulgaria and Romania.
- It is the largest water body with a meromictic basin
- It means the movement of water between the lower and upper layers of the sea is a rare phenomenon which is also responsible for its Anoxic Water (significant absence of oxygen in the water).
Pic courtesy: Wikipedia