India elected to UN Economic and Social Council for 2022-24 term
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – International Relations
- India has been elected to the United Nations Economic and Social Council, ECOSOC for the term 2022-24.
- India is also currently serving the 2021-22 term as a non-permanent member of the powerful UN Security Council.
Important value additions
United Nations Economic and Social Council, (ECOSOC)
- The UN Charter established ECOSOC in 1945.
- It is one of the six main organs of the United Nations.
- The Council consists of 54 Member States, elected yearly by the General Assembly for overlapping three-year terms.
- Seats on the Council are allotted based on geographical representation
- Mandate: It is the central platform for:
- fostering debate and innovative thinking
- forming consensus on ways forward
- coordinating efforts to achieve internationally agreed goals.
- It is also responsible for the follow-up to major UN conferences and summits