Innovations for Defence Excellence
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Defence and Security
- Recently, the Defence Minister has approved the budgetary support of Rs. 498.8 crore to Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) challenge under the Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO) for the next five years.
- It was launched by the Prime Minister in April 2018.
- It aims to achieve self – reliance and foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace.
- It engages Industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes and academia.
- Funded and managed by: DIO
- It also functions as the executive arm of DIO.
- DIO is a ‘not for profit’ company registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013.
- Founding members: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) & Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) – Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
- It will provide the engaging industries with funding and other support to carry out Research & Development.
- iDEX has partnered with leading incubators in the country to provide hand holding, technical support and guidance to the winners of iDEX challenges.