INS Vikrant: First Indigenous Aircraft Carrier
Part of: GS Prelims and GS III – Defence and Security
- Recently, the ongoing work on the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), INS Vikrant (IAC-1) was reviewed, which is a part of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- INS Vikrant, is likely to be commissioned in 2022.
- At present, India has only one aircraft carrier, the Russian-origin INS Vikramaditya.
About INS Vikrant (IAC-1)
- The vessel, to be named Vikrant after the decommissioned maiden carrier of the Navy.
- It will have an air component of 30 aircraft, comprising MiG-29K fighter jets, Kamov-31 airborne early warning helicopters and the soon-to-be-inducted MH-60R multi-role helicopter, besides the indigenous Advanced Light Helicopters.
- The shipborne weapons include Barak LR SAM and AK-630, while it has MFSTAR and RAN-40L 3D radars as sensors.
- It has a pair of runways and a ‘short take off but arrested recovery’ system to control aircraft operations.
- The combat capability, reach and versatility of the aircraft carrier will add formidable capabilities in the defence and help secure India’s interests in the maritime domain.
- It would offer an incomparable military instrument with its ability to project air power over long distances.