International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – health; Policies and interventions
- Recently, the Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment launched the website for the Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan (NMBA) on the occasion of International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking (26th June).
- Launched by: UN General Assembly in December 1987
- Objective: To strengthen action and cooperation in achieving the goal of a world free of drug abuse,
- 2021 Theme:
- Share Drug Facts to Save Lives.
Related Initiatives to drug free world:
- Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961.
- The Convention on Psychotropic Substances, 1971.
- The UN Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances, 1988.
- India is a signatory to all three and has enacted the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, 1985
Initiatives by India
- Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan/Drugs-Free India Campaign:
- Focal points: Preventive, mass education and sensitization, capacity building of service providers, positive partnership with educational institutions, and augmentation of treatment, rehabilitation and counselling facilities.
- National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction:
- Aims: Reduction of adverse consequences of drug abuse through a multi-pronged strategy involving education, de-addiction and rehabilitation of affected individuals and their families.