Kerala retains top rank in SDG India Index 2020-21, Bihar worst performer
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Development; Governance
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index 2020-21 was recently released.
- Launched by: NITI Aayog
- The SDG India Index was developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Global Green Growth Institute and United Nations in India.
- Kerala has retained the top rank, while Bihar was ranked as the worst performer.
- Second best performers: Himachal Pradesh and Tamil Nadu
- Worst performing States besides Bihar: Jharkhand and Assam
Why does the index matter?
- It is a primary tool for monitoring progress on the SDGs in India
- It fosters competitive spirit among the states and UTs
- It evaluates progress of states and UTs on social, economic and environmental parameters.
- The index has been successful as an advocacy tool to propagate sustainability, resilience, and partnerships.
Important value additions
The Sustainable Development Goals or Global Goals
- They are a collection of 17 interlinked global goals.
- They are designed to be a “blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all”.
- Set up in 2015
- Set up by United Nations General Assembly
- Target to achieve the goals: 2030.