Launch of Revamped Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Health
- Revamped Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS), Umbrella schemes of Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi (RAN) and Discretionary Grant (HMDG) on National Health Authority (NHA)’s IT platform were recently launched.
- Ministry: Ministry of Health
- Objective: For providing cashless, paperless and citizen-centric services.
Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS):
- It is a comprehensive Health Scheme for Serving Employees, Pensioners, Members of Parliament, ex-MPs, etc., and their dependent family members.
- During the last 7 years it has expanded to 72 Cities.
- E-referral module developed by NIC has enabled CGHS dispensaries and wellness centres to issue online referral to empanelled hospitals.
Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi (RAN)
- Under RAN, financial assistance up to Rs 15 lakhs is provided to poor patients suffering from major life-threatening diseases for treatment at Government hospitals.
- The eligibility criteria to avail services under RAN had been based on State/UT-wise BPL threshold.
Health Minister’s Discretionary Grant (HMDG)
- Under HMDG a maximum amount of Rs.1.25 lakhs is provided to patients whose annual income is less than Rs.1.25 lakhs.
- Beneficiaries can apply for financial assistance under both schemes by providing their Ration card number