Maratha community brought under Economically Weaker Section (EWS) quota
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Polity and Governance
- Maratha community is brought under Economically Weaker Section (EWS) quota in Maharashtra.
- Earlier, The Supreme Court had scrapped the SEBC reservation in jobs and education.
- It made it possible for the State government to extend the benefit of the EWS quota to the Marathas.
- As per the government resolution, a person fulfilling the criteria for EWS would be eligible for 10% reservation in educational institutes, barring minority institutes.
- This would also be applied for State government recruitment.
- The reservation would be above the existing reservation