Nearly 10,000 children in immediate need of care and protection: Bal Swaraj Portal
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions
- According to Bal Swaraj Portal, nearly 10,000 children in India are in immediate need of care and protection.
- They include children aged between zero and 17 orphaned or abandoned during the COVID-19 pandemic since March 2020.
Important value additions
Bal Swaraj Portal
- Created by: The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR)
- Significance: NCPCR has developed it as part of its role of a monitoring authority under section 109 of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 and to address the growing problem of Children being affected by COVID-19.
- Online tracking and
- Real-time monitoring of Children who have lost both parents/either of the parents during COVID-19 and are in need of care and protection
- Working: It will track children affected by COVID-19 right from the production of children before the Child Welfare Committee (CWC) to the restoration of the children to their parent/guardian/relative and its subsequent follow-up.
- The data will be filled in the portal by the District officers and State officers for each child.
Why does the news matter?
- These children are at high risk of being pushed into trafficking and flesh trade.
- The Commission had already received several complaints of government authorities illegally transferring details of children to private entities and NGOs.
- These are vulnerable sections of society devastated by COVID-19