Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III- E-Governance
In News: Bengaluru’s Municipal Corporation (BBMP) is set to extend the E-Aasthi project to all the wards in the three core zones – South, East and West.
- E-Aasthi Project aims to digitise property documents. Presently it is being implemented in 100 wards of BBMP Limits.
- E-Aasthi software was initially developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) for all urban local bodies. It was later customised by Karnataka State government.
- NIC, established in 1976 under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology provides network backbone and e-Governance support to Union/State/UT Governments.
- With the implementation of E-aasthi, updating different property transactions, such as sale, inheritance, partition, gift, will, land acquisition, khata amalgamation/ bifurcation can be done easily, without having to visit the BBMP offices.
- Since it is an end-to-end app, the E-Aasthi system was linked to property tax records under GIS-enabled Property Tax Information System (GEPTIS).
- Significance of E-Aasthi:
- Sanitises revenue records
- Bring in transparency and accountability in land transactions
- Stamps out illegal transactions and cutting out middlemen.