Govt. Portal for Children Orphaned by COVID-19
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and interventions
In news The government has introduced a portal to all the States and Union Territories for children orphaned by COVID-19
- Any citizen can inform the administration regarding a child eligible for support under this scheme through the portal
About PM-CARES for Children
- The Central government has announced the “PM-CARES for Children” scheme for all those children orphaned due to Covid-19.
What are the features of the Scheme?
- Corpus of Rs. 10 Lakh:
- A corpus of Rs. 10 lakh will be allocated to each of these children from the PM CARES fund.
- It will provide a monthly stipend from 18 years of age.
- On attaining 23 years, he/she will get the corpus amount.
- Education to the Children (under 10 years):
- Ensure admission to Kendriya Vidyalayas/ private schools.
- PM CARES will pay for the uniform textbooks and notebooks
- If the child is admitted in a private school the fees as per the RTE norms will be provided
- Education to the Children (11-18 years):
- The child will be given admission in any Central Government Residential School
- In case the child is to be continued under the care of guardian, he/she will be given admission in the nearest Kendriya Vidyalaya/private school
- Higher education:
- Provision of either a scholarship equivalent to the tuition fees/ educational loans.
- Interest on the loan will be paid by the PM-CARES fund.
- Health Insurance:
- All children will be enrolled as a beneficiary under Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- The premium amount will be paid by PM-CARES till a child turns 18.
News Source: TH