I-MESA: Social Audit of Social Sector Schemes
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -III – Economy
In news The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has formulated a scheme, Information-Monitoring, Evaluation and Social Audit (I-MESA) in FY 2021-22.
About the I-MESA Scheme
- Under this scheme, Social Audits are to be conducted for all the schemes of the Department starting FY 2021-22.
- These social audits are done through Social Audit Units (SAU) of the States and National Institute for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
What are Important Schemes of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment?
- Credit Enhancement Guarantee Scheme for the Scheduled Castes (SCs)
- National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSKFDC)
- National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC)
- Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers (SRMS)
- Venture Capital Fund For Scheduled Castes
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme for implementation of the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 and the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana (PMAGY)
What is Social Audit?
- Social Audit is the audit of a scheme jointly by the Government and the people, especially by those who are affected by the scheme or its beneficiaries.
- Benefits: It is a powerful tool to promote transparency, accountability and people’s participation in the schemes meant for them.
- A social audit helps to narrow gaps between vision/goal and reality, between efficiency and effectiveness.
News Source: PIB