North Eastern Space Applications Centre
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Sci and tech
In news NESAC (North Eastern Space Applications Centre) Society Meeting was recently held at NESAC, Shillong, Meghalaya.
- NESAC has released North Eastern Spatial Data Repository (NeSDR) with about 950 datasets.
- These datasets are related to infrastructure, land and water resources, disaster management support inputs.
- All the States are to take advantage of these data sets by signing MoUs with NESAC for specific activities such as detecting encroachments, and epidemic planning.
What are the focused areas of NESAC?
- Activities of NESAC are focused on the practical applications of space technology in agriculture, and allied fields like silk farming where it can help in early detection of diseases,
What are the achievements of NESAC?
- NESAC (North Eastern Space Applications Centre) has enabled the States to address issues and challenges of North Eastern region with the support of space technology.
- The organisation can also provide the required strategic inputs for the entire region for its overall development and strategic planning.
- NESAC has helped preserve forests by assessing forest fires and protecting endangered wildlife such as rhinos by studying the changing land cover.
- NESAC has used satellite communication for telemedicine, and tele-education
- NESAC has helped in weather prediction, and forecasting thunderstorms, lightning, and providing early flood warning.
Do you know?
- Union Home Minister is the President of the NESAC Society and the Chairman of the North Eastern Council (NEC).
News Source: PIB