Six Years of Digital India Programme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS -II – Policies and interventions
- Recently, the Indian Prime Minister of India addressed a virtual event to mark the completion of six years of Digital India programme.
About Digital India Programme
- It was launched in 2015.
- The programme has been enabled for several important Government schemes, such as BharatNet, Make in India, Startup India, industrial corridors, etc.
- Vision Areas:
- Digital infrastructure as Utility to Every Citizen.
- Governance and services on demand.
- Digital empowerment of citizens.
- To prepare India for a knowledge future.
- To realize IT (Indian Talent) + IT (Information Technology) = IT (India Tomorrow).
- Making technology central to enabling change.
- The introduction of Unified Payments Interface (UPI)
- Introduction of the e-KYC, DigiLocker and eSign were introduced to help businesses
- Introduction of JAM Trinity – Jan Dhan, Aadhar and Mobile to weed out leakages in the system
- India’s rise in UN eGovernance Index
- SWAYAM free online courses
- Regulatory roadblock due to taxation and other regulatory guidelines
- Digital divide due to lack of internet connectivity
- Lack of coordination among various departments
Pic courtesy: Digital India