Unique initiatives under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Policies and Interventions
In news Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U), one of the world’s largest affordable housing Missions , has launched two unique initiatives.
- It has launched Khushiyon Ka Aashiyana- Short Film contest 2021 and Awas Par Samvaad which is a series of 75 seminars and workshops,to take ahead the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Housing for All’.
- ‘Awas Par Samvaad’ aims to create awareness and promote discussion, deliberation and dissemination on ‘Housing for All’among multiple stakeholders belonging to varied streams of learning and practices, e.g. engineering, urban community development, planning, finance, etc.
- This will be done through 75 nation-wide workshops and seminars.
About Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U)
- Launch: 25th June 2015
- Aim: To provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022.
- Implemented by: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
- Addresses Urban housing shortage among the Urban Poor including the Slum Dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to eligible urban poor.
- It covers the entire urban area or any such authority under State legislation which is entrusted with the functions of urban planning & regulations.
- All houses under PMAY(U) have basic amenities like toilet, water supply, electricity and kitchen.
- It promotes women empowerment by providing the ownership of houses in the name of female members or in joint name.
- Preference is also given to differently abled persons, senior citizens, SCs, STs, OBCs, Minority, single women, transgender and other weaker & vulnerable sections of the society.
- It is Divided into Four Verticals:
- In-situ Rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers using land as a resource through private participation.
- Credit Linked Subsidy.
- Affordable Housing in Partnership.
- Beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement.
News Source: PIB