Covishield-Covaxin mix gives better protection: ICMR
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – Health
In news According to a study conducted by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the combination of an adenovirus vector platform-based vaccine (Covishield) followed by an inactivated whole virus vaccine (Covaxin) was safe and also elicited better immunogenicity than two doses of the same vaccine.
More about the study and its findings
- It has not yet been peer reviewed.
- To conclusively prove these findings, a multicentre Research Trial needs to be carried out because the sample size & follow up period (60-70 days) for this study was small
- The findings have an important implication for the COVID-19 vaccination programme wherein heterologous immunisation will pave the way for induction of improved and better protection against the variant strains of Covid-19.
- Such mixed regimens will also help to overcome the challenges of shortfall of particular vaccines and remove hesitancy around vaccines in people’s mind.
|Constituents and Action||
Do you know?
- Immunogenicity is the ability of a foreign substance, such as an antigen, to provoke an immune response in the body of a human or other animal.
- ICMR, New Delhi is the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination, and promotion of biomedical research. It is funded by the Government of India through Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. The Governing Body of ICMR is presided over by the Union Health Minister
News Source: TH