Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – International Relations
In news USA President Joe Biden will host a ‘Summit for Democracy’, virtually, on December 9-10.
About the summit
- It will be held around three themes:
- Defending against authoritarianism,
- Fighting corruption,
- Promoting respect for human rights.
- The summit will gather together Heads of State, civil society, philanthropy, and the private sector.
- The Summit is seen as one way to counter growing Chinese influence.
- There would be country-wise commitments made at the first summit.
- A second summit which will be in-person, will follow in 2022.
- Following a year of consultation, coordination, and action, President Biden will then invite world leaders to gather once more to showcase progress made against their commitments.