Importance of vaccine for pregnant women
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Health
In news Recently a senior member of the National COVID-19 Task Force has thrown light over the importance of Covid-19 vaccine for pregnant women.
Why is COVID-19 vaccine important for pregnant women?
- Though pregnancy and childbirth do not increase the risk of acquiring SARS-CoV-2 infection, they worsen the clinical course of COVID-19 compared with other women in the same age group.
- During the second wave, It was found that 22% of pregnant women who tested positive for COVID-19 had premature deliveries, and 48% had to undergo a caesarean delivery.
- The rate of admission to the ICU among pregnant women with COVID-19 was also higher than those of non-pregnant women.
- COVID-19 during pregnancy can lead to pre-eclampsia or eclampsia, which is an increase in the blood pressure of mother, and the risk of cardiopulmonary arrest increases, especially if the infection occurs during the third trimester.
- Since the vaccine significantly reduces the severity and mortality due to COVID-19, the government took the decision to provide vaccination to pregnant women.
News Source: TH
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…