India-Russia Defence trade worth $15bn in 3 years’
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations
In news In the last three years, since 2018, the defence trade between India and Russia was $15 billion because of some major defence deals.
- The S-400 air defence systems deal, for which deliveries are scheduled to begin by November 2021, was on schedule.
- One team of Indian Air Force (IAF) officials has been trained in Russia to operate the system while another team is undergoing training.
What is S-400?
- The S-400 is Russia’s most advanced long-range surface-to-air missile defence system.
- In 2018, India had signed a $5 billion deal with Russia to buy the S-400 air defence missile systems.
- The system is also known as the ‘Triumf’ interceptor-based missile system.
- It can simultaneously track numerous incoming objects — all kinds of aircraft, missiles and UAVs — in a radius of 400km and launch appropriate missiles to neutralise them.
- The U.S. imposed sanctions on Russia under its stringent Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) for manufacturing S-400.
- The law also provides for punitive action against countries purchasing defence hardware from Russia.
News Source: TH